David W. Graves
David W. Graves is a partner in the law firm of Laturno & Graves, and he heads the firm's Litigation Department. A San Diego native, Mr. Graves attended Humboldt State University where he graduated with honors and then returned to San Diego to attend the University of San Diego School of Law, graduating Magna Cum Laude.
While in law school, Mr. Graves served a prestigious judicial internship with the Honorable David Thompson, U.S. Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Upon graduation from law school, Mr. Graves was recruited by major law firms throughout the United States and accepted a position with Goldbeck & Associates, a local firm specializing in insurance coverage, construction defect and employment law litigation.
While at Goldbeck & Associates, Mr. Graves represented a broad range of clients, including insurance carriers, corporations and individuals. In 1991, he made firm partner, and the name of the firm was changed to Goldbeck & Graves. In 1992, Mr. Graves became a partner in Laturno & Graves.
An experienced litigator, Mr. Graves has successfully tried both bench and jury trials before the federal and state courts, the Civil Service Commission, the Merit Systems Protection Board, the California Labor Commission and various licensing agencies and he has prosecuted and defended several appeals in the California Fourth District Court of Appeals and the U.S. Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. Mr. Graves has also filed Amicus briefs with the California and the U.S. Supreme Court.
Mr. Graves is admitted to practice in all of the courts in California, the Federal Circuit Court, the U.S. Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals and the U.S. Supreme Court and is or has been a member of the American Bar Association, California Bar Association, the Consumer Attorneys of San Diego, the San Diego County Bar Association, the San Diego Volunteer Lawyer Program and the National Employment Lawyers Association. He has served on the Board of Directors of the Casey Foundation, Campus Life, Cougar Athletic Club and Escondido Charter High School.
Mr. Graves is also a regular speaker on Employment issues for the California Bar, the American Bar Association and other various legal and business associations.
Year Joined Firm
Areas of Practice
- Employment & Labor Law
- Trust & Estates
- Business Law
- 50% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- California, 1989
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California, 1989
- U.S. District Court Central District of California, 1993
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 1989
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1994
- University of San Diego School of Law, San Diego, California
- J.D. magna cum laude
- Law Review: University of San Diego Law Review, 1987 - 1988
- Humboldt State University, Arcata, California
- B.A. cum laude - 1985
- Major: History
- Mobile Carpet Club, Inc.
- All Smile Dental, Inc.
- Escondido Charter High School
- Argee Corporation
- Arrow Market Chapel Thai Restaurant
- Avca Medix Bliss Holdings, LLC
- Business Music & Communication Inc.
- Palomar Family Counseling
- Baker Enterprises
- People's Law School, North County Bar Association, 2010 - Present
Honors and Awards
- State Bar of California Pro Bono Service Award, 1995
Past Employment Positions
- Goldbeck & Graves, Partner, 1990 - 1991